Subject: [Leica] Documentary Photography Book Review
From: abridge at dcn.org (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue May 18 16:11:54 2004

The idea that non-violent means can overcome all is, well, not connected to the
real world because it assumes that all parties are sane. I would submit that
societies, as well as humans, can be sociopaths. Certainly Nazi Germany was not
a sane society: focused: yes, ideals clearly delineated: yes. Sane? No.

I submit that, as for human beings, insanity often requires the use of force.

Rwanda, Cambodia, the Holocost -- these are the results of tangible evil in the
world. Evil which no normal response could alleviate. I can argue that Iraq had
the same problem - but that no single nation or small coalition should have been
involved either in resolving the situation nor in the process of nation-building
which happened afterwards.

Alas, the horrors of the Middle East will inflict themselves upon us all,
probably for the duration of this century.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from kitmc at acmefoto.com (Kit McChesney) ([Leica] Documentary Photography Book Review)