Subject: [Leica] Leica sighting in Chicago
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed May 5 08:37:13 2004

B. D. said:

> or exists. Since at least the 1970s Leica has been a boutique brand in a
> WalMart world.....<<<

Hi B. D.,

I don't think you could say it any plainer! And it's been going down hill
ever since, quite possibly to oblivion as we know it today.

Yep at one time in the photo world "it was THE camera!" Period, no question.
Unfortunately the company did not evolve with an evolving world and is now
struggling to save the life boats, let alone the ship that sank some years
ago.

If you do not evolve with world changes, time and cameras do not stand still
for no man nor woman! No matter how good, excellent or wonderful the product
is, the world demands drive the wheels that allow it survive.

Leica were ten years behind all other SLR manufactures and to date haven't
caught up, let alone in the digital manufacturing of a digital camera. Yep
the digi back is coming? So are twelve blue moons in the southern sky! If it
works as they claim that's great, yes some folks will buy it, but at what
cost? It isn't like buying an amazing piece of Leica created glass.

Their constant wail about a digital "M" style camera being impossible was
all of a sudden turned around as soon as another manufacturer came up with a
similar machine. Where they were ten years behind in SLR production it would
appear they're worse off in the digital world. Unfortunately.

However, I feel there'll always be those of us who'll use film even along
with digital. And our choice for film camera will always be a Leica.
Certainly mine will be...... no matter what kind of digital I have in the
other hand!

ted

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.)
Reply from n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica sighting in Chicago)