Subject: [Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed May 5 09:52:24 2004

Jim Hemenway offered:

 Ted  said::

>  >>> Leica were ten years behind all other SLR manufactures and to date
> haven't caught up <<<

Jim responded:
> Together with Leica-R lenses, both of my R8s, (with the best metering
> this side of Rollei 6008) are ten years ahead of the rest in terms of
> the quality photographs they produce.  My Nikons have been gathering
> dust for four years.<<<<

Jim,
No argument on your points. However, when other manufacturers were working
on and producing SLR's virtually taking the camera market away from Leica,
it was only because in the early days of SLR development a member of the
Leitz family refused R&D development because SLR's were a fad and they'd
never replace the Leica!  OOPS!

And quite frankly Leitz/Leica have never recovered including today with the
advent of the digital phenomenon. They're still behind, on top of that are
appearing to be strapped for money to hurry up new products to market.

Hopefully all will work out OK for them.

ted

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Leica sighting in Chicago)
Message from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Ten years behind? I think not.)