Subject: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 hi rez causing "grain" Rich Pinto sees grain on his Imacon, we would all like to know if true.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun May 2 16:16:12 2004

Simon,
I think that most of the "grain" is grain aliasing.  I suspect that
depending on the scanner the same film will show different grain
patterns.
That was certainly the case with a negative that Jim scanned for me.

Another example possibly is my last batch of Neopan 1600 I ran in Xtol
1:2 instead of my normal 1:3.  The negatives appeared the same through a
10X loupe but scanned much finer grained.  I don't think that 2.5
minutes less development time radically changed the grain structure of
the film: however, the slight difference was enough to not show up as
"grain" on my scans.

As to the "Luminous Landscape" article, I wouldn't put much stock in it.
I've been scanning Fuji films at 3600 to 4000 dpi for years and
routinely spot at 200 to 300% magnification.  I don't see what the
author sees.  Possibly the scanners I use have a much sharper plane of
focus, possibly it is just an anti Fuji rant.

Rich has been scanning with very hi resolution Imacons for a while.
Hopefully he could chime in with any observations.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com