Subject: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Sun May 2 12:30:59 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tina Manley" <images@infoave.net>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box

| At 07:54 PM 5/2/2004 +0200, you wrote:
| >| Tina
| >|
| >I,m still wrestling with scanning so beforehand sorry for idiotic
| >questions.But do you feel that hi rez scanning sometimes makes low
light
| >exposed film more grainy?I wondered if you scan low rez if you ever
see
| >the grain .
| >simon jessurun
| >p.s. thanks for earlier advice
|
| Simon -
|
| I scan everything at 4000 dpi.  Grain doesn't bother me.  I like
grain, but
| if you do want to lessen the grain, you can use the GEM part of
Digital ICE
| on all films.  I read something interesting on the Luminous Landscape
sight
| about high-resolution scans of Fuji films.  It seems that the
| high-resolutions scans are picking up the film base of Fuji films and
| showing it as pepper grain.  Digital ICE completely removes the pepper
| grain, but Kodak films don't show it at all because their film base is
thinner:

| http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/film/fuji-pepper.shtml
|
| Since I leave the ICE turned on for all of my Fuji scans, I've never
| noticed this.
|
| Tina
|

| Tina Manley, ASMP
| www.tinamanley.com

Interesting article.I assumed that the infrared clean in Vuescan would
do the same as digital ICE.I,ll reinstall nikon scan and do a check.
Thanks
simon jessurun

Replies: Reply from keith at wbalaw.com (Keith R. Wessel) ([Leica] Late PAWs)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)