Subject: [Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun May 2 11:56:08 2004

At 07:54 PM 5/2/2004 +0200, you wrote:
>| Tina
>|
>I,m still wrestling with scanning so beforehand sorry for idiotic
>questions.But do you feel that hi rez scanning sometimes makes low light
>exposed film more grainy?I wondered if you scan low rez if you ever see
>the grain .
>simon jessurun
>p.s. thanks for earlier advice

Simon -

I scan everything at 4000 dpi.  Grain doesn't bother me.  I like grain, but
if you do want to lessen the grain, you can use the GEM part of Digital ICE
on all films.  I read something interesting on the Luminous Landscape sight
about high-resolution scans of Fuji films.  It seems that the
high-resolutions scans are picking up the film base of Fuji films and
showing it as pepper grain.  Digital ICE completely removes the pepper
grain, but Kodak films don't show it at all because their film base is thinner:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/film/fuji-pepper.shtml

Since I leave the ICE turned on for all of my Fuji scans, I've never
noticed this.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Coolscan 5000 out of the box)