Subject: [Leica] outdoor portraiture - flashmeter question again.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Apr 25 15:12:43 2004

Eric,
The trick is to use a flashmeter that can measure the flash in daylight.
Because there are different reflectivities out there, the old guide
number principle doesn't work so well.  Assuming a decent flashmeter,
you will take a series of flash exposures(varying the power of the flash
or the distance of the flash to the subject) until the flash is giving
you an F number you like(most people like fill flash to be about -3/4
stop to -1.5 stops from ambient).  Also, because the shutter speed
doesn't affect the flash exposure, you can use the shutter speed to
bring ambient to an exposure that works for you.

I have been using either a Minolta IVF or a Minolta Spotmeter F for
years now and they have never let me down.  Another option is to use a
dedicated system where the computer in the flash/camera does all the
work.  For your R7, the SF20 would be perfect for fill flash with a 400
ASA film.  Or, a dedicated Metz would make your life a lot easier.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com