Subject: [Leica] the Rose on/off switch
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 13:46:01 2004

I must also be in an argumentative mood also...

In my case I just leave the camera on until I am done shooting for the day,
so I don't worry about it being turned on or off.  Even if you used this
switch thing you would have to look down to switch it on prior to shooting,
so the motion to move the shutter dial is a no big thing alternative to the
switch, and no cost either.  I agree, though that incorporating it into the
advance lever would be the best situation.  Hmm, the SL had it right way
back in the '60s.  On the other hand if you do not advance the film the
meter is turned off anyway...

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>       |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           04/21/2004 03:24 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>                                 |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  RE: [Leica] the Rose on/off switch                                      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I suspect we each have slightly different styles that mean that one
person's ideal is another person's "are you kidding me?"

I never had a problem with the lever popping out accidentally, but I am
slightly annoyed by having to remember to spin the dial.  I keep the camera

in my hands when I'm expecting to shoot, but sometimes when I'm not
expecting it and I have the camera tucked away, I'll see something fleeting

that I want to snap very quickly and I'd like to be able to pull the camera

out to my eye, flick the aperture or shutter speed a stop or two and
shoot.  With the thing on "off" I inevitably have to look down to get the
shutter speed in the reasonable range first.

Plus I haven't fully trained myself to avoid winding on before putting the
camera away, so my softie gives me more blank frames than I'd like.

Your mileage obviously does vary.  ;)

Whatever...I still like my camera!

-Aaron