Subject: [Leica] New TriX
From: daniel_ridings at yahoo.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Apr 10 00:18:14 2004

I understand Jeffery's pain. The new Tri-X with a Minolta scanner (I think
we both have Minolta film scanners) is a lousy combination. There's
nothing wrong with the film, it just doesn't work well with Minolta
scanners.

I dumped the new Tri-X in the beginning until I realized this. Now I've
given it a new chance because Agfa is dumping all 120 film, b/w and color.
It's not clear whether they are doing this only for the Swedish market, or
for the global market.

At any rate, I have to settle for a replacement. Since Tri-X is
everywhere, why fight the system? When I shot some new Tri-x (just this
week) with my Rollei, it forced me to use another scanner than the Minolta
and the film works just fine (it has always printed just fine).

http://www.rollei-gallery.net/ridings/image-64005.html

And the other shots in that folder are the new Tri-X. All but the last
three are per Kodak's recommendations for Xtol 1:1 (9 minutes at 68/20
degrees). The last three are also Kodak's recommendations (that are no
longer published) for Xtol 1:2 (for the old Tri-X): Xtol 1:2, 10 1/2
minutes, 68/20 degrees.

I feel so drab and plain. Kodak's recommendations usually work for me
right out of the box. No creativity, no monkeying with the times, EI, etc.
I'm such a bore. (Ok, with some films I deviate, usually developing longer
than the starting point, but not with Tri-X).

If anything, and I'm given a choice between over or underexposing by a
third of a stop (my camera only works in half stops) I go with under
exposure.

Daniel Ridings