Subject: Re: [Leica] Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:37:10 -0600

Eric,

I struggled and struggled with the same problem you are having and
finally, finally figured it out. This is what I do (and it works I'm
happy to say):

Camera set to manual
Flash set to manual

With ambient light coming from the side:
incident meter from bright side of the subject towards the camera
place your fill flash (in my case it is a barebulb Quantum T2) wherever
you like on the shadow side of the subject
measure the flash to subject distance with a tape measure
set the flash to your ambient meter f/stop
dial down the output of your flash until it matches, in feet or meters,
the distance of flash to subject
(you can make this last step easy by using a set distance all the
time...5', 8', 10' and tying a string of that length to your light
stand)

This gives a 1:1 lighting ratio
For better modeling set the flash one stop less for a 2:1 lighting ratio
It's likely that the camera meter will read overexposed but don't worry
about that.

With light coming from behind the subject
incident meter toward the ambient light source
place flash wherever you like in front of the subject
measure, in feet or meters, the distance from flash to subject (again, a
set distance makes this easy)
set flash to the metered ambient f/stop
power down the flash until it matches the flash to subject distance in
feet or meters
shoot

Keeping the flash output equal to the ambient meter reading gives nice
frontal lighting that matches the ambient light. Opening a stop blows
out background highlights.

If you have a digital camera with manual settings it is very, very easy
to set this up and run test shots and see immediately what you're doing.
If using film, it is a good idea to make notes as you go along so you
know what you've done and the results you've gotten.

The following wedding shots (outside) were all done using this system:
http://www.whinydogpress.com/wedding1.html

Good luck and have fun
Lea