Subject: Re: [Leica] Ambient light + Strobe metering question
From: "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:58:55 -0600

Eric,

As a follow-up to your question, flash output exposes your main subject
and shutter speed exposes ambient light. Lengthing or shortening your
shutter speed when using fill flash impacts the amount of time ambient
light has to make an impression on your film. The longer the shutter
speed, the more ambient light gets in, the shorter the shutter speed,
the less light gets in. Of course in making shutter speed adjustments
you must be sure to never go over your maximum synch speed.

I like to shoot at 1/60th or maybe even as slow as 1/30 but the slower I
go, the more risk of blur due to my movement unless I'm using a tripod.

Run some tests using the info I sent earlier and make shutter speed
adjustments (but not until you have the basic method down pat...no sense
in varying so many things that it ceases to make sense)...you'll
immediately see how the shutter speed affects things. Often a longer
shutter speed makes for a more natural photograph because more ambient
light in the image prevents it from screaming FILL FLASH.

Lea