Subject: Re: [Leica] Traveling the world, just me and my camera
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:25:47 -0800

Doug Herr aid:

>I hate to break this to you, but it's not the 'traveling the world' part,
> either.  IMHO the best photos are in your 'back yard', however you define
> that.  It's the places you know and can come back to again and again.<<<<

Hi Doug,
How true!!!!!!

Over the years I've heard photographers say things like... "No wonder you
take great sports pictures, you go to the Olympics it's easy there because
you've got the best athletes."

What these people don't understand is ... "if you can't take good action
pictures at a high school track meet in yer home town, at the Olympics
you'll be a disaster." Just from the physical pressure of being crammed into
small photo positions with hundreds of other photographers.

And the athletes don't have anything to do with it!

And like you said   >>IMHO the best photos are in your 'back yard',<<

Time after time that is absolutely true. And like the Olympics we hear...
"well if I were in Iraq, man I could show how good a photographer I am and
I'd show them etc etc etc.."

And the first shell that explodes near by and they sh..t their pants they
wouldn't be able to get on a plane fast enough to go home. ;-)

It's the old story, "if you can't take good pictures in your own town you
ain't going to be any better 'cause yer in the big city!"

ted