Subject: [Leica] Re:Scanning Tri X on a Nikon 4000
From: howard cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:09:26 +0800

>Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:49:48 -0800
>From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W with Nikon Coolscan 4000
>it would be helpful to know what is making your scans unprintable. I scan
>Tri X,
>Neopan 1600 and other silver-based films all the time. They do tend to
>show more
>dust/dirt than if I scan B&W TCN which lets me use Digital ICE to remove them.
>
>But I can't complain about the results I'm getting.
>
>So I'd like to understand the results you're getting, what is failing you. I
>that way those of us who use 4000s can make better suggestions.
>
>Adam
Hi Adam,
The negatives are quite dense and I get blocked highlights and loss of
detail in the shadow areas. It's like there is no grayscale - just black
and white. The resulting scan obviously really doesn't print well at all. I
don't have any problem scanning colour negs or T400CN, but did have some
trouble also scanning Tmax 400 - hence why I switched to T400CN. Welcome
your advice.
Howard.