Subject: [Leica] Scanning B&W with Nikon Coolscan 4000
From: Howard Cummer <cummer@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:52:46 +0800

Hi Luggers,
I have been following the discussion of scanning B&W with Nikon
scanners with great interest. Can someone (Nathan? Tina?) please send
me the settings used to scan Tri X negatives cleanly on a Nikon
Coolscan 4000. I have some Tri X negatives left over from my student
days in France from the 1960's which I have tried to scan (digital ICE
off etc.) and the results are unprintable. For new B&W I have given up
on the usual emulsions and now use T400CN because it scans so easily -
or, if shooting digital and wanting B&W,  I just change digital colour
into B&W either using grayscale or desaturation (which isn't the best
way apparently - but works well enough for my taste). Any and all
pointers will be most gratefully received - either on or off the list.
Many thanks
Howard

Replies: Reply from George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W with Nikon Coolscan 4000)