Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning B&W with Nikon Coolscan 4000
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:49:48 -0800

On 2004-02-23 <cummer@netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)> thoughtfully wrote:

>I have been following the discussion of scanning B&W with Nikon
>scanners with great interest. Can someone (Nathan? Tina?) please send
>me the settings used to scan Tri X negatives cleanly on a Nikon
>Coolscan 4000. I have some Tri X negatives left over from my student
>days in France from the 1960's which I have tried to scan (digital ICE
>off etc.) and the results are unprintable. For new B&W I have given up
>on the usual emulsions and now use T400CN because it scans so easily -
>or, if shooting digital and wanting B&W,  I just change digital colour
>into B&W either using grayscale or desaturation (which isn't the best
>way apparently - but works well enough for my taste). Any and all
>pointers will be most gratefully received - either on or off the list.

it would be helpful to know what is making your scans unprintable. I scan Tri X,
Neopan 1600 and other silver-based films all the time. They do tend to show more
dust/dirt than if I scan B&W TCN which lets me use Digital ICE to remove them.

But I can't complain about the results I'm getting.

So I'd like to understand the results you're getting, what is failing you. I
that way those of us who use 4000s can make better suggestions.

Adam