Subject: Re: RE:[Leica] Leica R lens question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:30:35 -0800

kim said:
>>> oh ted.
> > of course we're talking proper composition.  but just how artists in
other
> realms might use acrylic or other oil or encaustic, the choice of lens can
make
> a difference.  a fascinating subject, with great composition might look
> different as shot with a noctilux vs. a pinhole.  I wasn't asking the
question about
> toys, or what alligator treatment I should cover my camera with, it was
> asking those who see a difference in a painters palette, what their
observations
> were.
>
> but the very question might be the difference between a photojournalist
type
> versus an admitted quiche eater like myself.<<<<<

Kim,
I unfortunately I jump in feet first on these bokeh / signature questions
simply because they never entered my photographic requirements let alone
thought or vision, nor that they were of any importance simply because the
main subject of my photography has always been, being in focus whether the
lens was wide open or stopped down to the smallest aperture.

This subject only rose it's ugly head once I joined the LUG several years
ago and I discovered how significant it was to many on the list. Bokeh,
signature and whatever things that were considered along these lines seemed
way more important than the end result of a Leica sharply captured life
moment for publication in magazine, newspaper, wire service or book.

The "signature / bokeh etc" is still meaningless in my shooting as I use a
lens to capture the action of whatever it maybe and not because it has
pretty OOF background or some other signature element. Simply because it's
the captured image that counts far more than a pretty back ground that's out
of focus to start with.

And yes you're probably right the signature is meaningless to many of us who
are professional photojournalists because it's the content of the moment we
try to capture than being concerned about the pretty background. That of
course on many occasions we deliberately throw out of focus by shooting wide
open to make our subjects stand out sharply. Not because we feel it needs a
pretty looking out of focus look.

And even though I have the lenses often spoke of with great reverence of
it's signature by other members, it still doesn't ring a bell when I reach
for it becasue that's done in relation to the subject about to be
photographed.

Not sure if any of this makes sense regarding your earlier question on
lenses, but it may give you an idea how some of us relate to our "tools" and
it sure doesn't have anything to do with pretty signature background. OK for
some I suppose it does. But trust me when yer face down in the shit and
people are shooting in your direction the last thing you are thinking of is
the "lens signature!" ;-)

> but the very question might be the difference between a photojournalist
type
> versus an admitted quiche eater like myself.<<<<<

Well now I wouldn't apologize for being a quiche eater as I enjoy them very
much when well made.;-)

>who also can taste the difference in various cheese, chocolate and wine as

Dang, sure glad I've got company, good on you as they're all fav's of mine
also. ;-)

ted