Subject: Re: [Leica] PayPal rant
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:21:54 -0700

The longest dispute I had was one month and a half. The seller just did
not answer his emails. So my first step after patiently emailing over
and over again -- say one polite email every three days --  was to
officially request his phone number through ebay. I got the phone
number, he got a notice. Everything sorted out very quickly after that.

I have also had two auctions where the seller left town for extended
periods after completing their end of the deal. I wanted an adjustment
due to a poor description and I just patiently kept emailing until they
came home. Ditto on a couple of people who had an medical emergency and
left me hanging for awhile. A series of patient and polite emails from
me until they were available again worked just fine.

I use Paypal so that I have the ultimate recourse of reversing the
charges on my credit card. Because I have this "up my sleeve" so the
speak, I am very patient and polite as I know I will win in the end. In
my opinion, and knowing nothing of the details, is that three weeks is
not a very long time.

John Collier

On Feb 2, 2004, at 10:43 PM, Richard Comen wrote:

> Yes John, I contacted the seller twice and never heard from him, then I
> contacted PayPal and they said they would look into it but they claimed
> that they must keep their inquiry confidental so that was no help, I
> reversed my payment after three weeks of negotiation and then PayPal
> froze
> my account. I also notified the seller that I was reversing payment.
> I for one am using checks and money orders from no on.
>
> Bichard
>

> At 08:13 PM 2/2/04 -0700, you wrote:
>> Did you contact Paypal first? Did you use ebay's mediation first? If
>> somebody reversed a charge on me with no explanation, warning or
>> reasoning, I would treat them as suspicious too. Nothing personal as
>> perhaps you did all the above...
>>
>> John Collier
>>
>> On Feb 2, 2004, at 6:37 PM, Richard Comen wrote:
>>
>>> I just bought something on ebay that I paid for via PayPal. I never
>>> received the item so I had my bank reverse the payment. PayPal froze
>>> my
>>> account and the burden of proof was on me to prove my "actions" were
>>> not
>>> suspicious. I do not need pals like paypal!

Replies: Reply from Jeffery Smith <jls@runbox.com> (Re: [Leica] PayPal rant)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] PayPal rant)
Message from Richard Comen <rpcomen@mcn.org> (RE: [Leica] PayPal rant)
Message from Richard Comen <rpcomen@mcn.org> (Re: [Leica] PayPal rant)