Subject: Re: [Leica] digital in low light
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:49:21 -0800

On 2/1/04 9:25 PM, "Eric Welch" <eric@jphotog.com> wrote:

> Sorry Mark, but the EOS D1s will blow away the Fuji Neopan at 1600
> (with no pushing) with the Canon 50mm 1.0 for noise vs. the Fuji's
> grain, but it won't have the "character" of the Noctilux.
>
> Eric Welch
> Carlsbad, CA
> http://www.jphotog.com
>
> There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few
> who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric
> fence. - Will Rogers.
> On Feb 1, 2004, at 6:08 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> Compare that against the noisy results you get at the high speeds on a
>> DSLR!
>
> --

Might be interesting some time to see results from the Canon F1. A direct
comparison against the Noctilux of the same shot.
Might not have as much character as the Noctilux, certainly wont have the
SAME charter as the Noctilux. Would be interesting working with a f1 50 on a
groundglass. I do have a feeling the Noctilux would be a better lens for
more reasons. But maybe not. I shelled out for a Noctilux. And I've got a
gut feeling I didnšt make a mistake.
I do Nikon and I donšt think it's 1.2 has much of a reputation on the
positive end. Although it sells new for the price of a Noctilux lens cap so
how good does it need to be? 1.2 is certainly close enough to F1. How close
I donšt happen to know. A forth stop?

It may easily be that digital is better for low light at the highest speeds
on my D100 which are 3200 and 6400 I think even with a variable zoom lens if
I can see it I can get it. Had held of course. It lights up at the back of
the camera and I see more there when when I'm standing there looking at the
subject matter itself! And the fact that for some reason it seems like you
can hand hold the camera an extra two stops certainly gives it an edge.
When I shoot film which was not much this year as that was my plan I tend to
have the Neopan 1600 in my camera. My all around street camera. Just make
sure I have a filter with me that will absorb a stop when the sun comes out
on what I'm shooting or I over expose.

Those extra two stops Neopan gives me over tri X really makes me feel like I
can shoot just about anything and with the Noctilux that's another stop on
top of that. Three stops total. So it's as if I'm shooting 3200 film and
getting a high quality hardly grainy result up to 11x14.

But it does not suck the light out of the darkness like the chip in my D100.
Although I wish I could relate more experience in what those shots look
printed as an A3. My feeling is they'll appear quite grainy but in an
amazingly even and pleasant way. Like adding a little noise and sharpening
it. Each grain a different color.

If I shot a lot of low light I'd figure out a developer which would jack up
my Neopan to 3200 and still give good tonality. Perhaps a Diafine like two
bath would provide a natural push. Give shadow detail more than just
increasing contrast.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland, Oregon