Subject: Re: [Leica] Art Galleries!!!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:57:39 -0800

><Snip>
>
> I'm not averse to making big prints, but for my photography I like the
> intimacy of smaller prints.  I want someone to get up close or hold the
> prints in their hands.  For big prints, you have to stand across the room
> to look at them.  I'm making 8x10 prints on the really heavy Epson Smooth
> Fine Art paper and they are really nice to hold.
>
> Tina

And 8x10's are a lot easier to kind just happen to have with you.

11x14's require come lugging around and long arms to view properly.
If you have them with you you seem out to make a non accidental
impression on somebody.

That said there is a "promo shot" stigma with 8x10's that is hidden in
peoples synapses that they're never shake some people think. Put them in
a cut mat and you've solved that.
But then the cut matts would probably be 11x14!

11x14's are kind of a standard in the photo art world (a good reason not
to use it perhaps) and I like the extra authority it gives my prints.
the viewer doesn't have to "climb into" the image it is more opened up
for them. And a partial excuse for our cherished extra expensive glass.
I'm standardized on the Epson Borderless Matte Paper heavyweight 11x14.

If you use borders the same little guy comes over with a rubber hose,
the same one who clobbers the people who snip off the "do not remove
under penalty of..." tags attached to the bottom of your mattress. He's
got to get around just like Santa.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com