Subject: RE: [Leica] Art Galleries!!!
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:14:19 -0700

> The hand-coloring expert had inkjet
> photographs on
> display in the gallery, too, and she referred to them as giclées, a term
> that I have been told is no longer used by any but the most pretentious
> galleries since it is French slang for ejaculate!

It certainly is - the more suitable term that is being worked out with the
museum and archives crowd, in conjunction with the leading printers -
formerly leading Iris/Giclee printers - (for prints made with Ultrachrome
type inks) looks like it's going to be something like "colour pigmented
prints".

> known better.  How can I continue to be taken in by the art
> community!!  I
> need an immunization shot of some kind.

She doesn't really sound like an artist Tina, more like someone who is a
step up from the craft show crowd (which is all fine and good, but I
personally feel there is more to art than that - it has to do with intent
and an committed intelligent approach - among other things - rather than
just making things that look nice...) - In terms of photography I'd class
someone like your neighbour Sally Mann as an artist - I think she is in a
different league all together than the person running your workshop by the
sounds of it.