Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:35:48 +0000

Hi Clive,
titanium is heavier than Aluminium. The majority of the M6 body is
aluminium. The top and bottom plates are either brass or some sort of
zinc die casting alloy depending on model. Making the top and bottom
plates titanium would save the odd gram, making the whole camera
titanium would make it considerably heavier. Titanium would be
unsuitable for lens moving parts because of its poor friction
characteristics. By and large titanium is an unsuitable choice for most
domestic products. AFAIK the only sound engineering (rather than
fashion/styling) use of titanium was in the syncromesh rings of Porsche
911 gearboxes where the high natural friction was used to good effect.
I do not know whether they still use it - they did a major cost
reduction exercise a few years ago.
cheers Frank