Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica M digital solution
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:31:56 -0800

Frank Dernie wrote:

> Hi Clive,
> titanium is heavier than Aluminium. The majority of the M6 body is
> aluminium. The top and bottom plates are either brass or some sort of
> zinc die casting alloy depending on model. Making the top and bottom
> plates titanium would save the odd gram, making the whole camera
> titanium would make it considerably heavier. Titanium would be
> unsuitable for lens moving parts because of its poor friction
> characteristics. By and large titanium is an unsuitable choice for most
> domestic products. AFAIK the only sound engineering (rather than
> fashion/styling) use of titanium was in the syncromesh rings of Porsche
> 911 gearboxes where the high natural friction was used to good effect.
> I do not know whether they still use it - they did a major cost
> reduction exercise a few years ago.
> cheers Frank
>
><Snip>

Frank you obviously have not seen Charlies Anglels Part Two (the
beginning) which is all about two Titanium rings which contain all the
names and jacket sizes of all the secret agents of the world!!!  It's a
seller's market!!! Try putting THAT on Aluminium!

I read how Napoleon served his extra special guests from out of town
with Aluminium knives and forks while his lowly Generals ate off the
Gold stuff and the guys who loaded the canons ate off the crummy silver.
But that was then.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com