Subject: Re: [Leica] Is digital photography necrophilia?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:44:08 -0700

B. D. Colen

> I find it absolutely fascinating and very revelatory that
> where not much more than six months ago the very word "digital" was
> anethema on the LUG, even Ted Grant is now playing with a digital
> camera, Tina Manley is earning her living with digitals, and many LUGers
> are shooting with them as well as with their Leicas. Some people are
> apparently able to adapt to change; some people see changes as an
> impetus to grow- others don't.<<<<<

Hi B.D.,
And in there lies what sorts some folks out from others, the "ability to
change and grow."

When I was shooting a great deal of magazine assignments times I learned
there were something's that had to change "with the times" to continue doing
what I loved best.... magazine and documentary assignments. I suppose the
success of the change was to diversify using my talent as a photojournalist
and applying the style of shooting to, "if I can see it I can shoot it!" And
show no fear to go where others wouldn't unless with flash! ;-)

Other PJ's fell by the way side as they saw themselves as "photojournalists
of the old school" doing only magazine work... unfortunately the grand
picture spreads were a dying breed, so many of the PJ's died along with the
lost work.

As I said, using the talent from available light shooting and applying that
to "commercial work" opened up a whole new world of photography both in
advertising and promotion assignments. Where others fell by the wayside, I
managed to keep right on rolling and have succeeded to my good fortune much
longer than most "independent / freelance photojournalists."

My dabbling in digital hasn't come from pressure that if I don't have a
digital set-up I'll loose assignments, but primarily to "change with the
time's of the equipment." Therefore, I should change with it and understand
what makes it tick, have fun playing with it.... And make use of it on
assignment where it may make a difference in the final coverage.

I feel many of the younger crowd pretty well have to cut to digital or
they'll fail miserably. Today the market demands are quite different to the
good old days of film, processing, look at slides or  contacts, make layout
and a couple of days or weeks later it goes to press.

Today because the market of survival, is... "NOW!" If you're not with the
program you're yesterday's child!  Fighting against digital instead of
making use of it's fun and practical side is ridiculous because anyone
locked into beating it is .... without question.... "doomed to failure!" If
you're in the real world of earning your keep with photography get with the
program using it to the best of your ability and success where it can be
combined with your "film photography" as well! It's something like, "two
heads are generally better than one."  Not always, but! ;-)

And yep there will be the exception who'll survive with only film. But
joining the digital club doesn't have to be negative live or die thing. But
to join it, work it to your best advantage combined with your film while
having fun and succeeding!

 ted