Subject: RE: [Leica] Is digital photography necrophilia?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:08:41 -0400

Sorry, Dante, but this is precisely what you've labled it - a rant, and
like most rants it is far more a rhetorical exercise than a rational
discussion of an important topic.

Part I -
	1. Do you seriously suggest most photo journalists went to, let
us say Gulf War I with a couple of "Leicas and what not?" More like two
to four Nikon F4s or 5s - perhaps F3s, all with motors, and a huge bag
of lenses. No, no sat phone, and no laptop. But what that sat phone and
lap top have done is make possible timely transmission of the photos
back to "the world." And given that the photojournalists are over there
as journalists, and their job is to cover news, being able to get their
work back quickly represents an enormous advance;
	2. Yes, images can be stolen from the web - but first off, most
posted images are posted at low resolutions; and, second, one can
easilly turn those images into digital "proofs" that are pretty much
useless to thieves in terms of reselling them. Oh, and let's not forget
that people have been posting and transmitting scanned film images for
quite some time now;
	3. This cant about shifting the "burden" onto the amature gets
really tiresome - the amature can take his filled digital card to the
corner store for 4x6s prints that are about the same cost, and every bit
as good, as those he got from film - but he doesn't have to pay for film
or processing. Oh, I guess that means it saves him money, doesn't it?

Part II-
	1. See 3 above. And, if the amature wants to do his own post
shoot work at home, he can, without having to develop film, and without
a dark room, or having to constantly convert his kitchen or bathroom
into a darkroom;
	2. The gear is still useable; the gear is just as good. But yet,
the excellent Canon 50 1.4 becomes an excellent 75 1.4, the 24 1.4
becomes a 35 1.4, the 35 1.4 becomes - a 50 1.4 - and what's your
problem. Times change; equipment changes. So what? No one is forcing you
or anyone else to change.
	3. I don't recall anyone making smaller, cheaper or faster
lenses a "promise" of digital. But some manufacturers are starting to do
it. We are only a few short years into this revolution. People, and I'm
sure you were one of them after reading your rant, were saying just six
months or a year ago that we wouldn't be nearly as far along as we
already are - I find it absolutely fascinating and very revelatory that
where not much more than six months ago the very word "digital" was
anethema on the LUG, even Ted Grant is now playing with a digital
camera, Tina Manley is earning her living with digitals, and many LUGers
are shooting with them as well as with their Leicas. Some people are
apparently able to adapt to change; some people see changes as an
impetus to grow- others don't.
      4. Yes, there are times that it's better to downsample than it is
to interpolate, but the same holds true of shooting with film. (And by
the way, digital noise is essentially the same thing as grain - but
we're used to the look of grain in high speed images, while we're not
used to noise.

Part IV -
	Yes, digital is indeed an imature technology; just as film was
when it replaced glass plates. The Kodak you extoll in Part I was
introduced in, what, 1887 (give or take a few years?) and I seem to
recall the first Leica didn't come along for another 40 years. The first
Leica was, if we can be honest, a real piece of crap compared to even
the later screw mounts. And the lenses Leica made in the 1940s and early
50s a real optical jokes compared to today's M lenses. (By the way, did
film technology and film cameras evolve as they did as a giant scheme by
camera companies to introduce planned obsolesence and rob us blind?
There is just as much reason to suggest that as there is for you to, in
effect, suggest that that is what's driving digital.

	Yes, Dante, we will have to wait and see how digital evolves.
Certainly it has a long way to go - it's only in its infancy now. But I
guarantee you it will only get better with every passing year. If people
had reacted to the introduction of film the way you are reacting to
digital, you would never have had your holy Leicas to shoot with. ;-) B.
D. Responding, not ranting.