Subject: Re: [Leica] New version of iView Media Pro
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:06:52 -0400

Looking over the new features I may change my mind, the program is
certainly indispensable to my work. How does the Quicktime compare to
what you were able to do in Keynote (referring to the HT presentation)?
(That's another program I should get around to buying, if only for the
QT.)

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 03:26  PM, Johnny Deadman wrote:

> Well, I think it's in a different league from GraphicConverter, which
> still feels like quite klunky, slow shareware desite having many of
> the virtues of a Swiss Army Knife.

And perhaps that's why I so seldom use it...

> I think iView's problem was that they positioned themselves as
> shareware for a long time but in fact the product has matured into a
> full retail application, and at some point they knew they had to bite
> the bullet and price it accordingly. Their competition is Extensis
> Portfolio and frankly I think theirs is a better product.
>
> Having said that the $75 upgrade fee is a slap in the face for many
> users and I think will cost them a lot of friends. I guess they are
> gambling that people will discover that iView is indispensable (which
> it certainly is for me). The next step will presumably be a full
> Cocoa-ization of the application... the $75 upgrade would have made a
> lot more sense if they had done that.

Perhaps if it were $75 Canadian ;-)

Gilbert