Subject: RE: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl has died at age 101
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 13:15:14 -0400

		B.D. wrote about Riefenstahl that "she...knew precisely what
she was doing, and...We all make choices...and are ultimately judged by
those choices."

		People are constantly doing all sorts of things, but to
comment on their behaviors by saying that people "make choices" is to say
nothing at all.  Science tells us that we live in a world of cause and
effect, and the operative question about any behavior is, "What caused it?"
Not an easy question to answer, to say the least, but if nothing else, we
should understand that to answer the question of "What caused the behavior?"
is also to answer the question of "What caused the choice?"  The choice does
not cause the behavior; rather the cause of the choice and the cause of the
behavior are the same.

		Art Peterson
		Alexandria, Virginia