Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital SLR
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:42:32 -0400

Hi Larry,

Any SLR (digital or film) uses a mirror in the viewing
system to implement a WYSIWYG (what you see is what ou get)
design, thus avoiding viewing problems in other systems
such as paralax with rangefinders.  So in fact the image
you see thru the viewfinder is more or less the same as
will be recorded on the sensor or film.

On a digital SLR, the viewing mirror blocks the light path
to the sensor, so that you cannot see the image until
after you capture it.  Digital P&S, not using the SLR viewing
system do not have this problem, so that you could use the
reproduced sensor image on the camera back to compose.
The proposed use of a fixed pellicle mirror in SLRs solves
that problem among others (e.g., shorter lag time).

- - Phong