Subject: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:49:11 -0700

I had dinner with my folks a couple of weeks ago, and decided to try using
the Unlika Leica (Nikon Coolpix 990) as a Leica-style available light
people shooter.  Which it ain't.  The exposure times were absurd. Autofocus
sometimes worked, sometimes didn't quite.  Even at noisy ISO 400 and the
lens locked wide open at f/2.5 - 3.5, I was getting mostly 1/15 or
worse.  I lost some lens speed because I had to use the zoom--it is simply
not polite to climb over one's octegenarian parents and their friends at
the retirement home during dinner.

This is the best of the lot, overall (my mother and a friend):
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/6462EmAndFriendSmall.jpg

My mother-in-law listening intently:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/6452AdaSmall.jpg

My Dad, a retired theoretical physicist, lost in thought:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/6441MiltSmall.jpg

The rest are all a little motion-blurred or not-quite-focused, though I was
able to get a few that were OK for family memories.  Next time, it's back
to the Leica, 400 film and an f/1.4 or f/2 lens.   This experience makes me
admire even more the available light pioneers in the 1920s and 30s, with
their hypersensitized ASA 80 and 100 film and f/3.5 and f/4 lenses.  The
Summar must have seemed like science fiction when it came out.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents)
Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents)