Subject: [Leica] Walks with a Panasonic LC5 - Monday August 4th
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 16:56:29 -0700 (PDT)

Graham posted:  http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/irc.html

Beautiful stuff, Graham.  I'm particularly interested in the picture with
the brilliantly lit trees in the background and the two boats with deep
shadow in the foreground. You describe it thus:  "What can I say, you have
seen it all before but the light throughout this walk invited this kind of
shot."

That is absolutely yummy light!  This is the kind of shot that is easy to
ruin with a digicam (or slide film for that matter).  You managed to keep
the brightest leaves from blowing out, and kept some green in the
brightest parts, but the shadows are still usable.

Do you remember how you set your camera for this shot?  Whatever your
settings were, I'd like to try their equivalent on my digicam.

If I were taking this shot on a digicam, I'd use the low contrast setting,
spot meter the brightest leaves and open up 1.5 - 2 stops.  And if there
was time, bracket. But I would be skeptical that a digicam (as opposed to
a RAW-shooting SLR or neg film) could handle this situation this well.
Whether it was the photographer, the camera, or both, good show!

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from "GeeBee" <graham@geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk> (Re: [Leica] Walks with a Panasonic LC5 - Monday August 4th)