Subject: RE: [Leica] Don's PAW 31 Focus on the eye - should be eyes
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 07:49:37 -0400

Don,

Re: #1 (color) http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1672429&size=lg
and #2 (B&W)   http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1672688&size=lg

I am not about to kiss anyone, but I also slightly
prefer #1, despite the fact that the depth of field is
a bit too shallow.  I would use Photoshop to bring
out the far eye.  I thought about B&W vs. color
and decided the color version bring out her eyes
(and hair) much better.  I would also try to avoid
highlights on nose (#1 and #2) and cheekbone (#1),
I find them slightly distracting in a closeup portrait
like these.

I'ts a tough choice, but in the end I like the
feeling conveyed by the #1 better.  Besides Summilux
beats Biotar anyday of the week :-).  BTW, did you really use
the Biotar on an M6 (per displayed technical details) ?

I too use the 75mm Summilux with too shallow a
depth of field on closeup portrait on too many
occasions.  I suppose just because it can go to
f1.4 does not mean that I have to use it at f1.4.
On the other hand, I am still looking and hoping for
that perfect f1.4 shot.

Cheers,

- - Phong