Subject: Re: [Leica] Staying w/ film for a while - handled a D100 (and a 10D, and...)
From: Will von Dauster <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:24:25 -0600

Hi All,

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 03:30 AM, Richard F. Man wrote:

> My wife is "pressuring" me to get a DSLR (what a wife eh?) for certain
> properties that digital posses. So we went to K&S to check out the
> cameras. I warned her about how much bigger and heavier they are
> compared to the OM and the M7. Since I am considering an E-1 when it
> comes out, we looked at the E-20, the D100, the 10D, and just for fun,
> the 1Ds....the 10D is the best.

While not an M Leica in terms of optical performance - what is? - I
have been quite happy with my 10D. My film use has dropped off
dramatically since acquiring it. Beyond simple resolution issues, be
sure to pay attention to low-light performance, ie the higher ISO
settings. This is an area where Canon, especially the 10D, does very
well indeed. I routinely use mine at ISO 800, and the 1600 is usable,
if pixelated. I've shot somewhere over 5,000 images so far with this
camera.

For reference I have used the E-10 and E-20 professionally, and there
is no comparison.

Will von Dauster