Subject: Re: [Leica] opinions on M7 vs. MP
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:22:24 -0700

bdcolen offered:
> But more to the point...Given the very personal nature of the
> photographer/camera relationship, if, after handling the two cameras,
> and reading the lists of features, one has to ask "which should I buy,"
> one is not ready to buy either. ;-)<<<<

Hi B.D.,
Absolutely!!!!! As each one of us use an M camera for various reasons and to
offer which M to buy, the MP or the M7, one could expect hundreds of
reasons. And probably each one a valid offering.

The only bond we have is in the name of Leica and not just to which camera.
Otherwise we'd all give identical reasons for using an M7 or whatever M.  I
never thought in a million years I'd switch from M6's to M7's, nope not me,
not a hope! Until surprise of surprises I had one in hand and using it under
work conditions. And with that, two more were ordered immediately and the
M6's were history.

And what was the motivating factor?

One thing, the AE lock as simple as that along with the extreme accuracy of
the metering and camera selection of shutter speeds for roll after roll of
perfectly exposed frames.  And under the wildest of light conditions one
could experience.

In answering the question which one, M7 or MP? The M7 hands down!  I mean
for one thing why retrograde to a dinky little re-wind knob that's a pain in
the ass twiddling? Oh yeah that can be rectified for another $200.00 bucks
for a proper re-wind crank. So why not put it on in the first place? Yep I
know other less expensive cranks are available, but that's not the point as
the MP is made primarily for nostalgia reasons. OK that's how I feel about
it. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] opinions on M7 vs. MP)