Subject: RE: [Leica] There Is More To Life Than Lens cleaning
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:09:22 -0400

Seth adds some sound advice to my cleaning prescription and to Ted's.
While I have never yet resorted to lens cleaning fluids, I understand
they have a place, though I have never seen a lens so filthy that it
needed more than the condensate from my foul breath as a cleaning agent
and I have never heard of a filthier lens than Ted's Noctilux, which he
also cleaned without any sort of detergent.  Seth also reminds me of the
one occasion on which I do use a filter.

I have spent most of my professional career in disaster preparedness and
response.  When I have a Leica out in hurricane force winds or greater,
that is, winds in excess of 75 miles-per-hour, I will use a UV filter
because you would be just amazed at the objects a 75-mileper-hour wind
can toss around, like tree branches and pebbles.  Also, sand storms can
be hard on lens elements.

	Buzz Hausner