Subject: [Leica] RE. Digital Characteristic Curves
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:14:01 -0400

Hi To all,

While I certainly agree with Mark about high contrast being an issue with
the D100 or any other digital camera  I can't agree with the following:
" There is no shoulder, and the slope of the
curve is alway increasing. The metered exposure gives an output of about 97,
which is below what you would expect (128). Without adjustment in Photoshop,
the images coming out of the camera have very dark shadows, muddy midtones,
and highlights with excessive contrast, just as the characteristic curve
would predict."

Without a thorough knowledge of how he actually plotted his characteristic
curve, or the workflow that was used to arrive at the image, it is hard to
dispute what he says, however, if you measure a target such as the DC
ColorChecker and properly plot the tone reproduction of the camera, I don't
believe that you will see the same results. The camera has a small toe and
it has a shoulder. The reproduction gamma is set so that the midtone
reproduction gamma is somewhat above 1.2 which is the assumption that nearly
all consumer camera manufacturers build into the camera.  This is based upon
the viewing conditions for most electronic displays.

It's important to note that the camera output has been corrected for viewing
on a display system with an assumed gamma of 2.2 in a dark environment.  An
18% grey in a gamma 2.2 corrected, 8 bit system is representated nominally
at level of 118, not 128 as stated. As I stated, there is normally a slight
increse in the system gamma to 1.2 .  An 18% grey value would be represented
by a numerical level of 100 in such a system.  Marks results seem to
indicate a value of 97 so I think we are on the same page, but we are
interpreting it differently.

For users of Nikon cameras, it is highly recommended that you store your
data in their proprietary NEF format.  This format allows for a great deal
of post correction (except for over exposure). Archiving in NEF format will
allow for improved transformations to the latest ICC specification when all
the manufacturers of Color management software finally catch up.

My experience with Digital Cameras has been that they require a certain
amount of time to learn.  It IS different than film.  On the other hand, I
certainly have had much fewer problems taking well formed digital images to
paper and digital display, than scanning transparency media to the same
formats.  On the other hand, there is no doubt that the projected slide
looks far better than the repoduced prints.  In my own experience, when the
desired output is going to be primarily displayed on digital media, I start
with a digital image or a scanned negative.  The negative provides a very
easy image to scan and generally reproduces with minimum fuss.  I have found
in my own work that the increased contrast of the transparency media is more
difficult to correct.

If I was going to Alaska, I would fill my Nikon with Ektachrome 100GX or
Provia 100f and I would put Kodak Portra 160NC in the Leica :) , just like I
did when I went to Utah.  In low contrast situations, I used the
transparency camera and in most of the outdoor high contrast shots, I used
the negative.  The dynamic range, particularly in the case of over exposure
is spectacular.  It was the only camera (Leica + negative film) that gave
great results in the slot canyons. In any event, just take good pictures and
enjoy your vacation.  If you do take that Digital Nikon, underexpose a bit,
store those images as NEF, there will be better rendering solutions in the
upcoming year.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.- A GretagMacbeth Company
25 Nashua Rd.
Londonderry, NH 03053