Subject: Re: [Leica] M camera NOW R camera ?
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:28:09 -0700

BD,

In case  you didn't notice, the R HAS a 35mm Summilux. I've owned two
of them, and they are second only to the 35 Summilux ASPH M lens in
quality (which I currently own). Though it does have a bit of fall-off
wide open, it's hardly noticeable and easily fixed in Photoshop in
those conditions where you need f/1.4.

That being said, it's certainly not the most capable system. Optical
quality is without peer in SLRs. That includes Contax, which has some
individual lenses that are better, but as an overall system, the Contax
system is a shadow of the R system for comprehensive lens selection.
I've owned some of those lenses. But in the end, they left me cold
(blue cast compared to R lenses).

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 08:10  AM, bdcolen wrote:

> "Most capable?" Where's the autofocus? Where are the 35 1.4

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still
putting on its shoes."
- -- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)