Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:24:31 -0700

bdcolen said:

> The sad reality, Ted, is that just about the only people who even know
> what Leica is anymore are we "weird people on the internet."

Hi B.D.,
In my body I have to agree, as it still comes down to "we, many of us" are
the real working photographers who use them in making a living whom Leica
have never, certainly for many years, paid attention to for feed back.
Opting for the "known ones" quite often who's worldy image is an unrealistic
image of reality.

Like making such a huge advertising thing about the "Leica goes to the top
of Mount Evrest." Who cares! Hell 99% of present owners have the economic
where with all to do that, so really who cares.

They'd be better off showing it used by you or many others on the list in a
practical... "You to can do this kind of photography with a Leica!" Dare I
mention the absolutely stupid advertising campaign with the hands for crying
out loud? My God they in Solms must have the worlds greatest collection of
creative rejects in the world for that one!

So is it any wonder they're flailng about with this spare parts thing?

> No, I'm sure Herr Cohn doesn't give a rats behind what we think - and
> that's why Leica finally reached the point where it had to turn to a
> handbag company to stay alive.<<<

Hell I'm beginning to think maybe Herr Cohn should call up Mr. Kobiashi of
C/V and discuss a merger or some kind. ;-) Jeeesh I can hear the puking
going on in the back ground over that suggestion. ;-) However folks, how
about the fact C/V and a few other equipment manufacturers are running the
ass off Leica with new lenses and camera bodies?

Considering how often the C/V lens questions are on the screen and how well
they perform along side a Leica lens, have any of you ever wondered how many
millions of dollars are being syphoned away from leica a year ?

I don't have any doubt, given how many folks have bodies other than Leica,
they would've bought Leica if they were roughly the same price. Or the C/V
and other lenses which must be eating away Leica profit incredibly.

Unfortunatly I feel too many old school Leica establishment are still
influencing the "world view of yesteryear" about where Leica is and in their
minds will always be. That is until it's gone! :-(

> This latest move on Leica's part really shows how astoundingly stupid
> the management is - how out of touch with the world of the users of the
> products.<<<

Absolutely no question! And I go back to the dumb ass advertising of
"hands!" Or the so called "personality Leica users!"  Ffffffftttt!

ted

Replies: Reply from "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica USA no longer selling repair parts)