Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW wk 30/sl
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:16:40 -0700

Steve LeHuray showed:
Subject: [Leica] PAW wk 30/sl
> http://www.streetphoto.net/paw2003/wk30.html<<<

Hi Steve,
This situation of shooting into a window and getting a decent exposure is
usually a challenge at anytime as there's two ways to expose.

A:
turn it into a silhouette and let the folks inside go black or darkened
figures and being able to see what the outside world looks like.

B:
Expose very well as you've done here so the viewer can see the folks against
the blown out background.

Do I have a preference of either? Nope, as the situation of the location,
people, content inside or out usually determines the choice of exposure.
And that's considered in relation to whom and what the main assignment is,
or ones feeling at the time of exposure.

And if in doubt.... ALWAYS shoot both! Certainly if they both look like
they'd be cool pictures. Remember looking at what we've shot on the light
table later is more important than what we didn't shoot and not exposing a
couple more negs just in case. You can't go back and capture it later if the
"one and only" didn't work. Obviously if situation and time permit!

I like this photo because the subjects evoke a number of questions beyond
photo related,
and it's nicely composed and exposed. And as many good photographs do,
particularly when the photo holds a viewers attention to study it longer
looking at many details within the frame.

And all the comments of "I'd like to see more of her face, hands, what's
he's thinking as he looks calm, is she smiling, if only in profile etc etc"
don't mean a damn if it's a lousy photo to start with.

If folks just looked at the photograph as it sits on the screen and
appreciate it for what's there and not try to re-create a non-existing
situation when the photo is a "quickly captured moment" without control and
let it be, it would be great.

Sure things of composition, detail of exposure suggestions or cropping are
fine, but a number if things people "would like to see" isn't relevant
because it wasn't there in an uncontrolled picture moment. it's a real life
moment not controlled models.

Anyway Steve I like it because it works. Good exposure, creates questions in
a viewers mind and creates a feeling of "making the viewer look at it longer
more than if it were some of the usual "happy snaps" folks post.
ted