Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:59:58 -0700

Jim Hemenway showed:
>>This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!<<

> Remember when Bob Adler told us about an astronomer who has become very
> interested in the Van Gogh painting, "Evening Landscape With Rising
> Moon" and that that the next time the sun and moon would be lined up
> exactly like it was on July 13, 1889 would be on Sunday, July 13, 2003.
>
> Well, My son and I went out on the appointed night and found that the
> "Buck" moon rose behind an offshore cloud/fog bank.
>
> So, here's my "Van Gogh" sunset, shot from atop a stone tower on a hill
> in the Middlesex Fells reservation and surrounded by things going "boomp
> in the night".  The view is east southeast as the moon rose over the
> airport and the outer harbor:
>
> http://www.hemenway.com/July13th/Moonrise-July13th.jpg<<<<

Hi Jim,
Shooting sunsets and full moon rising is something I look for when I'm doing
travel or lecture assignments, obviously doesn't happen very often. But what
you have here is an absolute classic photograph. Actually I don't think one
can get it much better! Good on you for followimg up Bob Adler's post.

I keep track of moon rise & sunset times and what I watch for is the closest
time between the sun setting and the moon rising. When this happens along
with a full moon it's a "do not miss this happening" for interesting
photographs, particularly  shooting over a water situation, IE: lake, river,
ocean whatever. Hey even a duck pond! ;-)

When I know this kind of time line-up is about to happen, I recce a spot a
few nights before, then when the time comes it's cameras loaded and lots of
film to make as many exposures as possible, allowing for bracketing and
distance between water surface and moon higher into the sky or the effect
disappears, sunset's and the effect is gone.

After seeing this shot of yours I'm sure a number of folks on the list will
be paying attention to sunsetting and moon rising! ;-)

Good on you for putting in the effort, well done mon ami! :-)
ted

Replies: Reply from Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!)