Subject: [Leica] Re: This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:05:19 -0400

Hi Folks:

Remember when Bob Adler told us about an astronomer who has become very
interested in the Van Gogh painting, "Evening Landscape With Rising
Moon" and that that the next time the sun and moon would be lined up
exactly like it was on July 13, 1889 would be on Sunday, July 13, 2003.

Well, My son and I went out on the appointed night and found that the
"Buck" moon rose behind an offshore cloud/fog bank.

So, here's my "Van Gogh" sunset, shot from atop a stone tower on a hill
in the Middlesex Fells reservation and surrounded by things going "boomp
in the night".  The view is east southeast as the moon rose over the
airport and the outer harbor:

http://www.hemenway.com/July13th/Moonrise-July13th.jpg

Here's a view of Boston about minutes before sunset looking southeast
about 8-10 miles:
http://www.hemenway.com/July13th/Sunset-on-Boston.jpg

These are big, progressive jpegs so they take awhile to load.

Did any of you take a picture?

Shot with an R8 with the Vario-Elmar ROM 80-200 on ProviaF 100.
- --

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: This Sunday evening, catch a Van Gogh!)