Subject: Re: [Leica] another acolyte
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:06:28 -0700

Karen Nakamura wrote:

> Was it ever possible to purchase the steering wheel as a spare part
> from Leica? I'd get the Rapidwinder but I'd like the flexibility of
> using the normal base when I wanted to, without having to dig out a
> screwdriver.

You don't really need one.  I've never used a RapidWinder with a
"steering wheel" (or more commonly a "basket").  I just load the film,
make sure that it is over the sproket holes (i.e., that they engage the
film perforations), rewind the film so that the film is tight and flat,
and then wide on one frame with the base off and back open (just to
make sure that everything is OK) before putting the RapidWinder back
on.  I've never had a misload.

M.