Subject: Re: [Leica] An Introduction, and a plea for wisdom
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:59:30 -0700

Gary:
Thanks for the feedback.

I might have considered the M7 had I been more patient.  I just purchased a
M6 (but have not received it yet).  The auto exposure I might have used
occasionally.  I seldom use the default exposure that the G2 gives me.  I am
always messing with the compensation dial.  The light here in AZ is pretty
intense and the scenes are often very constrasty and I need to thoughtfully
meter or hope the film has sufficient lattitude.  A great side effect of
shooting Velvia exclusively for a couple of years is that my sense of
exposure control has had to be pretty good.  That stuff has very narrow
latitude. SHooting TriX and Delta 400 is a joy and very relaxing.

Your assessment of the G2 is very close to mine.  The whirring and clicking
really got to me this morning; not because I needed to be discreet, but just
because it was annoying.

The Zeiss lenses are absolute top shelf though.  Too bad they dont have a
focus ring!

I also just bought a 35 ASPH summicron thinking that since this tends to be
my favorite lens with the rangefinder (the 35 and 90 were about all I used
with the COntax) I would go for the lastest and presumedly best lens I could
get.  I will try to get a late model 90 also nless there is some real
compelling reason to go with an older version.  My mind is open.

Your thoughts re: a 24 vs a 28 are worth considering.  For a long time I was
shooting nearly all tele or macro with the occasional WA for scenics.
Nearly all my photography was off a tripod as well.  I've got some major
adjusting to do.

thanks
cheers
Jack McLain