Subject: [Leica] My plea for wisdom.. thanks all
From: "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:32:17 -0700

Ken, Seth, Buzz, Ernest, Jeffery, and Martin:
Many thanks all for your thoughtful replies (and my proactive thanks for
those that yet might offer further opinions). I am particularly intriqued
and interested in descriptions of the "feel" of the M4 vs the M6.  I can
already see the strong possibility of picking up another body - likely a M4
or M3 - when the right chance shows itself. I also like using a hand held
light meter... it's been awhile but it used to be second nature when I was
using my old Bronica MF and doing my best to play the zone system.

I like fiddling around with my old IIIf even if I dont shoot with it; it
just "feels nice"... know what I mean? I am assuming that the M4 will give
similar tactile feedback.  I wish there were someplace here in Tucson with a
used Leica selection to manhandle. I might have to cross the river to NYC on
one of my monthly NJ trips and drop into camera alley for a good feelup.

I've taken some positive (re)action however.... I committed to buying a M6
(black, .72 TTL) and a Summicron ASPH 35 from a list member who advertized
here.  I didnt care one way or the other about the TTL business (no flash
will ever darken my doorway), but the deal sounded good and I pulled the
trigger. I'm on the way..  I'll have a Leica to shoot next week ). I hope.

I decided on the M6 as a first body for the dependability I assume it will
give me.  I really dont want to mess around with sending a newly purchased
body for CLA at this stage... I want to shoot the damn thing.  Instant
gratification is the name of my game!

On THursday I received the CL with 40 and 90 I ordered awhile back from
Tamarkin and found the light meter to be on the blitz... damn. So much for
immediate gratification!!  I've sent that back and am considering converting
that purchase into a 90mm Summicron (not ASPH, but previous version).  I
understand it's less contrasty than the ASPH version and more forgiving as a
portrait lens and lighter to boot.. true?).

I've got to keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 28 and a 50 f2 Summicron.
(I wont use the 50 much but I guess I should have one being that the general
opinion is that the 50 f2 Summicron is a true world class lens; maybe I'll
get into it). Your opinions on these lenses will be valuable when the time
comes. (and knowing myself and the feeding frenzy I'm in it wont be long!)

The MP body sure looks cool as hell, but I dont want to drop the big bucks
for a body and then have shallow pockets to apply to lenses (for after all
is said and done, it's the glass not the body,,,, right?).  I must admit to
being seriously turned on by the leica-porn web site... The MP camera looks
beautiful, and seductive.  That sexy script and all. (but I dont get the
film rewind bit... that is a bit too retro). I wonder how many new owners
will be rubbing their new MP bodies on their shirt tails to get it to brass
a bit.  Weird thing.  I admit to being fond of my old beat up Nikon F3 and
Nikkormats which once were new and shiny black and now are brassy and dinged
and all that wear is mine.... and I somehow enjoy it. THis is another
potential subject to explore.. the psycho-sexual relationship between camera
degradation, attraction, and self-image.  Any shrinks on the list?

This morning I went out into the desert at sunrise to walk my dogs and grab
a couple of shots of the monsoon clouds over Mt Lemmon with my trusty Contax
G2.  It didnt work... strange, a couple of months ago I was convincing
myself that the Contax would be my tool for reentry into a kinder, more
gentle mode of photograpy.  All that auto focus whirring and clicking
bothered me as it never has before.  Am I lost? Am I a goner?  Have I
crossed into the dark (or light) side?

Now I've gotta give KEH a call and arrange to ship off a shit load of Nikkor
what-nots for a major negative cash flow.  Anyone have any experience
unloading stuff like this?  I hate the idea of dealing with eBay but I dont
want to get too screwed either.

later all
Jack McLain
Tucson, AZ