Subject: Re: [Leica] An Introduction, and a plea for wisdom
From: "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:08:30 -0400

> I would say I am a 28-35-90 kinda guy.  I seldom use a 50. The view is
just
> so.. "normal" for my tastes.  I really like a 35 as my "normal" lens, and
> 90 for it's ability to extract the element I am turned on by.  The 28 is a
> true wide but not extreme and I can use it wothout too much perspective
> distortion if I'm careful (I hate tilted buildings and elongated noses in
my
> pics).
>
> cheers
> Jack
> Tucson, AZ

Jack,

My 2 cents.

M7
24mm ASPH
35mm pre-Asph Summicron
90mm Elmarit

Body.  The M7 combines the best features of a manual focus rangefinder, good
in low light situations, convenient to carry and to use, with "modern"
features like auto exposure and an optional motor drive. I am a former
Contax SLR user of 25 years whose last gasp with Contax was the utterly
miserable G2---great glass but a lousy camera, hunt and whine autofocus, dim
viewfinder, really a tricked up point and shoot with interchangeable lenses.
The M7 is the camera I've wanted for a long time, long before Leica even
introduced it.

Lenses.  IMHO 28mm is too close to 35mm and often not wide enough.  I bought
the 24mm this year and it's neck and neck with the 35mm as my most used
lens.  With the 24-35-90 you have a true wide angle (24mm) a dependable and
fast enough (f2) 35mm (the pre-ASPH is cheaper than the ASPH) and a great
portrait lens (90mm).  The latest 90mm Elmarit is quite a bit cheaper than
the 90mm Summicron and is simply a marvelous lens.

If you buy demo and minty pre-owned the whole package will set you back
about $5K.

Gary

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] An Introduction, and a plea for wisdom)
Message from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] An Introduction, and a plea for wisdom)