Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:15:12 -0400

Or is film out of here?    Dale

- - --- >>

I'm not sure I understand the correlation.

Maybe it's because Kodak digital products are getting negative reports.  Good
thing for them they still have their traditional division.

- - -kim

Kim,

They sure do. It's as big as a small city, and the biggest single source of
pollution in NY State. It's also the biggest employer in Rochester. And, we
are all worried sick about it.

Have been since the disc camera (ca. 1981) demonstrated that whatever
inventive magic the company once had has been hijacked by knuckle heads.

My (hopeful) take: Digital cameras are a computer peripheral and that's
what's driving consumer sales. Once they find out what a pain in the ass it
is (for a typical consumer), the things will sit in a drawer, just like
most people's traditional cameras do. Once the market is saturated, demand
will wither.

For the relative few who like to take pictures more frequently, many will
and jobs where digital is the best and other jobs where film will be better
or more practical.

The question to me is not of the disappearance of film, but how much will
still be made, and sold at what price?

And the question for Rochester is, will Wall Street allow Kodak to preserve
it's film operation long enough for the shakeout to run it's course.

Here's a funky shot of the "Kodak Tower" from the back of some run-down,
company-owned buildings across the street from "headquarters."
http://quazynet.no-ip.org/PAW/KodakTower.jpg Leica made: on topic. (Fuji
film: twenty lashes!)

Carl