Subject: [Leica] Rochester Leica Day
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:04:26 -0400

Folks,

I had the pleasure yesterday of attending a Leica Day at Rowe Photo here in
Rochester, NY. I had never done that before. There isn't much market left
in this town (home of Kodak) for traditional, professional cameras, and
Rowe normally stocks only an M6 and a couple lenses. What fun it was to see
and touch that exotic stuff some of you folks in larger cities see all the
time, or own for yourselves, such as the Noctilux or the 75mm Summilux.
Finally got to hold a R9, too. Much too big for my hands, but the
viewfinder is perfect; very comfortable viewing distance to the screen.

The store manager said he was pleased with the turn out. There were a few
people waiting when the door opened, and almost a dozen were there in the
first hour for the little "clinic." Number 14 was our own Ernie Nitka, who
drove over from Syracuse. It was a pleasure to meet him and chat for a
while in person. We both wondered if there are other LUG lurkers who live
in this area?

The only goody I came away with was a freebie: the fancy schmansky booklet
on the MP. Impressive, as is the camera, but I think our friends need a bit
of help with copy editing. Among the slight infelicities of translation is
the description of photographer Michel Comte as being an "unrelentless
chronist in the areas of need in this world."

But, what really grabbed me was on the pages devoted to the wide angle M
lenses, where the bold type under the picture of the item says, "Leica
Elmarit-M ASPH. 35 mm f/2." !

Anyway, if somebody from Leica sees this, I want to say thanks for bringing
the show to our neck of the woods.

Carl

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> ([Leica] gyro stabilizer for R8?)