Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: SARS
From: CC Yau <ccyau@iohk.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:31:23 +0800

I agree with Joseph, the SARS ward is not a place for someone without
good medical or nursing training in infection control.  The risk is too
high, just to remind you that the official mortality for SARS from WHO
is 5.9%.

I am not in the front line like Joseph but I am also a medic working in
another major Hong Kong hospital on the other side of the harbour.  I
am more with the administrators and we had a special task force meeting
every other day for the last few weeks and we had extensive discussion
on infection control etc.

To stay on topic, about your Leica gear, they will be contaminated, no
doubt.  Our chest physician used to describe the SARS wards as "filled
with air saturated with SARS virus particles".  Original comments from
our microbiologists basing on previously known types of corona-viruses
was that, articles not heavily contaminated can be left dry and it will
be safe after 3 hours or so.  Articles visibly contaminated by fluid or
secretion should be discarded.  Recent study after we isolated the
virus appears to suggest that at least 24 hours of quarantine of the
equipment (your Leica) would be necessary.  I heard another report
today that some researcher found that at 24 hours, the virus only
decrease by about one log, i.e. down to one tenth only.  So if you got
your Leica gears contaminated by using them there, you may have to
leave them somewhere for a number of days before you can touch them and
who knows what will happen even after weeks.  We simply do not have the
data.

Apart from 70% alcohol, you may also consider 1:100 household bleach if
you like to try on your Leica.  Heating it up is another option, but
you may to go up to more than 60-70 degree Celsius for more than a few
minutes.  Citizens in Beijing are buying all the microwave ovens they
can get to try to sterilise their masks and household articles, but I
think it may not work for your all metal Leica.

Joseph's idea of using diving enclosures is probably the best you can
try.  I do not have such gears, if I really have to shoot in a SARS
ward, I will get one of those
fully-waterproof-all-in-one-single-use-800ASA-with-built-in-flash
cameras.  Soak it in diluted bleach or 70%alcohol before handing it to
the photo-shops.

Anyway, think twice before you take up the task.

Good luck,

CC Yau
Hong Kong