Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Kodak stock is down(way down!) this morning.
From: Jim Shulman <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 17:44:51 -0400

Well, not really.
Spoke with the manager of the local Ritz Camera.  They had expected to
be decimated by digital, but then a strange thing happened:
People started pouring in with their digital memory cards, begging for
prints.  Their printing operation is going full blast, although now it's
about a third digital (and growing) with the rest film.
They rarely move film cameras these days, other than for disposable
cheapies.  They do stock a wide variety of film cameras, though, since
they're a full service photo store.  They also stock a wide variety of
film.

The "simple elegance of film" is a way I like to delude myself into
thinking that my investment in old Leica equipment isn't p***ing money
down the drain.  If I were rational, I'd think otherwise.  When I think
about buying the new MP, I feel like Rhett Butler signing up just before
Appomattox.

What will likely happen is that, three or four years from now, there
will only be a few specialty shops that carry film.  Manufacturers will
cut down their stock to a few basic emulsions.  With lower film sales,
most of the one-hour shops will switch over to digital-only printing.
Expect to wait a week or two for your photochemical prints or
transparencies.  Fewer processing outlets, in turn, will push the
fence-sitters over to digital photography.  Stores will stock even less
film and fewer film-based cameras.

I've seen this happen before.  Twenty years ago 8mm and Super8 movie
film could be found at almost every drugstore in the country.  Video
cameras were bulky, expensive, and delivered cruddy results.  However,
they didn't require the purchase of expensive film--and you could get
two or four hours of sound and motion for only a few bucks, with no
processing! Screw up a scene?  Did Grampa fart when the cake arrived at
the table?  No problem, just erase and reshoot.  Movie film delivered
(and still delivers) far superior images, but at considerable cost and
inconvenience.  Within five years it was nearly impossible to find a new
Super8 camera in a local camera store, and a few years after that
regular 8mm film was no longer produced by any major film manufacturer.

Today Super8 is a specialty item few stores carry, though it can be
ordered from major film supply houses.  8mm film is custom-perforated by
two or three folks in the country, though availability is spotty.
Prices are high, with little or no price competition.  Most cameras in
the amateur gauges are now virtually worthless; pro-quality 8mm and
Super8 cameras go for a fraction of their 1970s prices.

The "simple elegance of film" is still there.  Good luck trying to get
more than a token offer for your Nizo these days, or anything other than
a blank stare from the kid at PhotoLand when you ask for a Super8 silent
cartridge.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA--who will keep shooting until they pry the M3 from his
cold, dead hands.