Subject: Re: [Leica] The new digital reality -
From: "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:00:57 -0400

Yes, i had a parallel observation to BD's: how exciting it is to be doing
cutting edge photography, how it must have been for Capa and his colleagues,
breaking new ground, taking pictures that could not previously be taken with
faster lenses and smaller equipment. the evolution of photography was
inevitable and made inevitable by the kinds of results Capa and others
achieved, a new capability of seeing, of immediacy, of being there. the face
of the frightened soldier on the beach at Normandy would never have been
seen if not for the kind of technology that permitted Capa to slog ashore
with the troops, the achievement of that photo eclipsed whatever
shortcomings there may have been in technical perfection.

today the pictures have been taken, digital is adding speed but not, I
think, capability or vision, and if we're working for a living taking
pictures we more than likely will be doing it digitally; the need to get
pictures to an editor in another hemisphere in a hour is not driven by the
photographer's own urgencies or preferences, but by the editor's
expectations. can you do it? if you can't we'll find someone else.

the excitement of digital, if there is any, has to come from somewhere else.

bh

Replies: Reply from Slobodan Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] The new digital reality -)