Subject: [Leica] The new digital reality -
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:12:28 -0400

Last night, during the American Masters documentary on Robert Capa, the
comment was made that in the 30s, Capa and folks like him were excited
by, and experimenting with, the new 35 mm photo technology and the new
possibilities it offered. I was particularly struck by that, and thought
- - why was that transition really any different from the present
transition between film and digital? And don't respond by telling me
that the transition from film to digital represents a deterioration,
because when you think about it, that's also precisely what the switch
to 35 from 4x5 represented. But what the advent of the 35 mm camera -
the Leica - gave people was a way to carry light-weight equipment and
shoot quickly, which they hadn't been able to do previously. Yes, the
digital SLRs are big and comparatively heavy - but not that big and that
heavy. And they take the concept of shooting freedom to a new level -

Today is Thursday - Tuesday I got a phone call from an editor at a
Brazilian high-tech mag asking if I could provide a portrait of an MIT
professor - and get it to them by end of day today as a digital file.
The prof was available at noon today. I shot him, drove home, downloaded
the images to the computer, produced a Photoshop web page of 12 images,
and had the images up on the web for the Brazilians to choose from by 1
p.m. They then made a selection and gave me the dimensions and their FTP
address, and they had a final image from me by three p.m. - just three
hours after the shoot - (and during the three hours I also had a
doctor's appointment and ran a couple of errands.)

Oh - and Tuesday I spent shooting for a freelance story I'm doing for a
major U. S. newspaper, and by 5 p.m had 90 images on the web for the
photo editor to look at. Why 90 images? The editor wanted to see my
entire shoot to get a feel for how I work.

Would the results of both these jobs look better if shot with Ms and
chrome, or Fuji color neg film? Probably. Would that difference be
evident in the magazine or newspaper? No way - and I'd still be scanning
the stuff from the Tuesday shoot. ;-)

The point of all this? You tell me. ;-)