Subject: [Leica] Re: Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 12:22:04 -0700

All 90mm lenses, basically, produce the identical depth of field. If one
90mm lens has more contrast and higher resolution numbers, and the ability
of recording fine detail better than the others, it will "appear" to have
LESS DOF than the other lenses. This is because of the visual sharpness
difference between the sharp and unsharp areas. There is an abrupt change
between the very sharp and the less sharp areas. This is also why lens
manufacturers say that to fully utilize the DOF scales on modern lenses,
use it as if you were shooting two stops wider, ie; shoot at f/16, read the
scale for f/8. The scales were computed back when lenses were not so sharp
and film was not nearly as good as today's lenses and film.

If your lens exhibits lower contrast, less fine detail recorded, etc, then
the difference between the sharp and unsharp areas is less apparent thus
giving the "impression" of greater DOF. It is a smoother transition between
the sharp image parts and the less sharp image parts.

This is a very well known fact and is why many people think that old lenses
have greater DOF than new lenses. It's not true, it's simply the visual
difference (sharpness contrast) between the sharp and unsharp areas.

Jim

PS... Depth Of Field is what you see in the photograph. Depth Of Focus is
at the film plane and, even though (like depth of field) is dependent upon
the aperture, is a different subject.

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> ([Leica] Re: Re: Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!)
Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!)